The National Capital Area Garden Clubs (NCAGC) began as the National Capital Garden Club League (NCGCL) in 1951. The NCGCL was given permission by Congress, at the request of Arboretum Director Dr. Henry Skinner and Maryland State Senator Gilbert Gude, to have our headquarters at the Arboretum as a result of our hard work on Fern Valley.
The NCAGC members were instrumental in the establishment of the gift shop, Arbor House, as well as the Volunteer Guide Service.
Currently, the NCAGC is working with the Arboretum to install five rain gardens located in the R Street parking area and in the circle in front of the Administration Building. Each garden will have a different theme: Low Maintenance, Coastal Plain, Butterfly, Formal/Traditional, and Xeric. This current project was initiated under President Vickie Godwin in 2011 and supported by Past-Presidents David Healy and Jo Sellers as well as our current President Robin Hammer.
National Capital Area Garden Clubs, Inc.
Ten Year Historical Perspective
2001 – 2011
compiled by Danielle Brabazon, President Godwin’s Historian for NCAGC’s 60th Anniversary
“Garden Our Community”
Installation of 5 Rain Gardens at the USNA 2011-2013