The National Capital Area Garden Clubs, Inc. (NCAGC) encompasses four Districts, 70 Garden Clubs and 2,224 Garden Club members within the metropolitan area of the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. It is a member of National Garden Clubs, Inc., a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide education, resources, and national networking opportunities for its members to promote the love of gardening, floral design, and civic and environmental responsibility.
PURPOSE OF THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The National Capital Area Garden Clubs, Inc. provides scholarships to encourage students who are majoring in the study of:
Horticulture | Botany | Conservation | Biology | City Planning | Floriculture | Landscape Design Plant Pathology | Forestry | Environmental Concerns
- Application must be submitted on the required NCAGC application forms.
All forms must be typed or reproduced on a computer
- Applicant’s permanent address must be within the National Capital Area: Washington, DC; Montgomery County, MD; Prince Georges County, MD; Arlington, VA; Alexandria, VA; Fairfax County, VA; Prince William County, VA.
- Applicants must have at least a “B” average (3.0 on a 4.0 scale). A copy of the student’s complete official academic transcript for all courses taken must be included with the application form. (Graduate students must also include transcripts for undergraduate courses.) Records must include the latest grading period. The applicant must be a full-time student majoring in one of the stated fields of study at an accredited college or university during the year for which the scholarship is granted.
- In addition to the application form, the following supplemental informational materials must be attached to the form.
- A personal letter by the applicant discussing background, career goals, financial need, commitment to chosen field of study. (Limited to two typed pages. Additional materials will not be accepted.)
- A list of extracurricular activities and honors received on a separate sheet of paper (not included within the body of the applicant’s letter).
- National Capital Area Garden Clubs, Inc. Scholarship Financial Questionnaire must have all parts completed.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (including at least one from a teacher/professor) which discuss scholastic ability, personal character, work-related experience of the applicant. (Each limited to one typed page. Additional letters or additional pages will not be accepted.) Please do not include any materials other than those requested on the application.
- All of the above materials are to be assembled by the student and mailed as a complete packet by
March 1st to: Bette Lewis
NCAGC Scholarship Chairman
1915 Blackbriar Street
Silver Spring, MD 20903-1201
Or email a completed packed to: email@example.com
No applications received after March 1st will be considered.
College sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students (but not Ph.D. candidates) may also apply for
scholarships offered by the National Garden Clubs, Inc. by submitting the application from that website.
Visit www.gardenclub.org and click on “Scholarship” to access the Scholarship information
Still have questions? Contact Bette Lewis, NCAGC Scholarship Chairman, by email.
NCAGC Garden Clubs interested in making Financial Contributions to the Scholarship Program, please send checks to:
Executive Secretary, NCAGC, Inc.
6057 Ramshorn Place
McLean, VA 22101-2420
ATTN: Scholarship Fund